Visitors are welcome to our meetings and if you have Parkinson's yourself, or know someone who does, you are especially welcome to come by and spend some time with us in a caring, sharing and compassionate environment.
In the meantime, feel free to browse through our website.
Please note the Point Loma Parkinson's Group website contains an ever growing amount of information and links to many websites with even more information. To make access to all this as easy as possible, we have included a Search This Site feature and our database is continually updated. A limitation of the search program is that it will not store or search for words with less than four (4) letters. Should you be have a problem searching for something you believe ought to be in these pages, please contact the webmaster for assistance.
Our speaker is:
Christina Selder, M.S. Gerontology *
Co-founder & Principal Investigator for CARR
Consumer Advocates for RCFE Reform (CARR) puts the assisted living care model into context for seniors and families. CARR explains the continuum of care, then walks consumers through each element of assisted living, detailing what to look for and what to watch out for when making a placement decision.
*Christina (Chrisy) Selder, holds a Master of Science degree in Gerontology from San Diego State University, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics/International Trade and Finance from Louisiana State University. She has previously held an RCFE Administrator’s Certificate, earned an SDSU Grant Writing Certification and completed components of UCSD's Paralegal Training to be of further benefit to CARR's mission and work.
Her Master's Thesis, "Maximizing Medicaid's Continuum of Care: An Analysis of Assisted Living Facilities and Nursing Home Residents", was published by Montezuma Publishing, SDSU, 2008. The link will take you to access her thesis.
Ms. Selder is currently the principal investigator and project lead for San Diego County's Pilot Program to develop a rating system for local assisted living facilities.
- Information regarding regular well-being checks by law enforcement staff (You Are Not Alone program) added.
- Link to Watch Yourself: Device May Improve Research and Parkinson’s Monitoring added.
- Parkinson’s Association Mission Statement and Director’s comments moved to Organizations Page.
- Link to Harvey Raider's Memorial Page added.
- Link to National Osteoporosis Society Vitamin D Guideline Summary added
- Information regarding PD and Osteoporosis added to Resource Section.
- Updated Caregiver Support Group information on Caregiver Cafe page.
- Article added to Dr. Eric Marcus" Corner
- Members of the Tremble Clefs sing with Sheldon Reynolds of 'Earth, Wind and Fire' fame for album to be released in September! See news story here.
- Link to 'Caring for the Greatest, Muhammad Ali' added.
- One of our group members suggested we add a Memorial Page to this website. I have begun such a page, but I am in need of suggestions and advice from as many folks as possible before I move forward with this project.
- Added a page as an information repository for Previous Speakers (something I should have done before . . . )
- The May 7th meeting was Andrea's last meeting as she is moving on in her educational endeavors. Good luck Andrea - we will miss you!
- Important fact sheet, "Medicines for Parkinson's Disease" - Information about common medications prescribed for Parkinson's, and medications to avoid when taking certain PD medications.
- Link to 'Pretzels for Parkinsons.org' They taste great and support efforts to find a cure for PD.
- Link to the California State attorney General's online California Advance Healthcare Directive form (this form can be filled out online and printed).
- Link to article 'Mindfulness: Turning Off Auto Pilot' in Donne's Place.
- Link to to the San Diego/Imperial Counties Chapter of the American Red Cross 'Be Prepared San Diego' website and Seniors Prepare for Disaster handbook.